Nov 9, 2012

2012 eclectic reader challenge: december - classic

Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2)Anne of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is my last book for the Challenge, and I chose it as my classic because I really wanted to finish with something good. And really, there was no way I was not going to like this book.

Anne of Green Gables is one of my all-time favourites - but since I had read it before, in the spirit of the challenge, I decided to read Anne of Avonlea. LM Montgomery didn't let me down.

This book instantly transports me back to girlhood, when my "bosom-friend" Emily and I used to re-enact Anne and Diana's adventures as 12 year olds. We were BESOTTED with this story. We had all the movies. We made raspberry cordial (non-alcoholic! Readers of the book will get this!) and we pretended to have puffed-sleeves and picnics.

Needless to say, as I read this, I could see perfectly in my mind every scene played out. The characters to me are as familiar as old friends.

I loved every minute, and I still have an image of Anne stuck in a storm, having fallen through a hen-house roof, balancing on a barrel with an umbrella over her head!

Anne of The Island is already beside my bed!

View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love Anne of Green Gables - the mini series has actually just played here over the last few weeks as well.

    Thanks for sharing your review!
    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete